Tuesday 20 July 2010

Auction sniping

Too many times I discovered that I was the highest bidder still at the last seconds and then someone placed a bid at 4 or 5 seconds to the end of an auction. The first time you think that this person stayed in the "dark" during all auction running and then he bid quickly just before the end (I do that sometimes too). But when it happens regularly, and with the same bidder at each time, you check the number of bids, and the time when the winning bidder placed his bid, then you realize that he ALWAYS win the items 5 seconds to the end, all the time. That's why I realized that this person use a sort of auction sniper to let the computer bidding for you even if you're not in front of your screen : you select the item number, the maximum amount you are wiling to pay for it... at this point it is the same as eBay. But there's another field to complete concerning the number of seconds you want to let the computer bidding for you. I'm not an expert in auctions, but I find this way of bidding totally unfair for other members. Imagine if you do the same with a similar process at Christies on a rare Van Gogh painting... what do you think the other members would say ? It is the same on eBay, and I would be happy to see eBay developping a process to cancel all auctions for people using a sniping system.

No comments:

Post a Comment