Monday 26 July 2010

My experience with BMW Angel eye kits "Ultra-bright"

Quite a while ago I bought an angel-eye headlight kit for my 5 series BMW from a seller on ebay. I'd left my feedback and all was fine, but I would like the opportunity to elaborate more on these kits with the benefit of months of experience with them.These kits are identified as being "ultra-bright" and easy to install. They are quite easy to install if you're reasonably good with soldering and wiring and car DIY. I managed to have them installed in a few hours, but the story isn't all good. My first experience was that these angel-eye rings weren't a direct replacement for my regular side-lights. When I unplugged the side-light bulb from its socket and wired up the new ring light, my indicator came on at the side I was working. It didn't flash and wasn't very bright, but it stayed on when I had my sidelights on because its a clever BMW trick to give you an emergency side-light when the car can't detect a working side-light bulb. I was forced to keep my original bulb in and working strapped to a wire on the inside of the engine bay in order to stop the indicator coming on in this fashion. The second problem is that I feel these lights are definitely not bright enough. My car was due its MOT and my mechanic wasn't sure if they were legally bright enough to pass. All in all I would advise that you don't put these lights in your BMW. It simply takes away from the amazing workmanship that defines BMW cars. I wish I had just saved a bit more and replaced my existing headlight cluster with a proper BMW angel eye set and not bothered with the inexpensive **** I polluted my car with. There are many seemingly good headlight sets available on ebay for a few hundred pounds. Save a little longer and buy them instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment