Saturday 29 August 2009

FAKE "EBAY" EMAIL HAS A NEW TACTIC!! PLEASE READ!!


Hi folks, I just wanted to let you all know about a "new" tactic the fake "Ebay" emailers are using to gather your personal information. I have seen probably hundreds of emails from these people claiming that they're from "ebay" and that my account will be "limited" or "suspended" due to "unauthorized activity" or if I don't "update" my information by clicking on the link in the email I could be permanently suspended....
But, I will say, this one really takes the cake!!
Just recently, I received an email from "ebay" stating that I have received an unpaid item strike. This just floored me, as I had no clue what the heck they were talking about, and being curious, I had to read the email to see what this was about. I knew darn well that I had always paid for every item, so this had to be a mistake. Sure enough, it was for some item that I had not even heard of!!
And then there was the telltale "click on this link" which led to an area where I could enter my user ID and password to view this so-called report. All I can say is, it's a good thing that there is an Account Guard feature on the Ebay toolbar, which notified me immediately that it wasn't a legitimate ebay site, otherwise, I could have been in some real trouble !!
ALSO: I just received a "receipt" from "paypal" for supposedly purchasing an item from a seller that I have never heard of. This one was a little trickier to spot as fake, however, here is what told me it wasn't real:

It was a receipt for an item I never purchased
The "receipt" did not address me by my real name. Instead, it said "dear ebay member" (PayPal will use your real name)
The body of the message contained a link to "dispute" the sale (It opens a window to enter your ID and password!!)
The entire body was a gif image (Nice try!!)
As you can see, these scam artists are pretty crafty, and will do just about anything to get your attention.
I wanted to make other members aware that these scam artists are STILL OUT THERE, and **DO NOT**I REPEAT**DO

Orignal From: FAKE "EBAY" EMAIL HAS A NEW TACTIC!! PLEASE READ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment